Want to view Instagram Direct messages anonymously? Like WhatsApp, the platform displays the user’s status and last seen one in chat. But, unlike the messenger, the social network does not allow you to disable both features.
- How to view Instagram Stories anonymously
- How to choose who can see your Stories on Instagram
While users can disable the status display, there is no native function aimed at last seen. If you care about your privacy and like to keep such information private, there are some tricks that can help you. Before we get to the tricks, however, how about we disable the status?
- Go to your Instagram profile (Android l iOS l Web) and in the upper right corner, tap the three-dash button to bring up the menu. Then select “Settings” and click on “Privacy;
- Scroll down until you find the “Activity Status” option. Click on it and then tap on the “Show Activity Status” command to disable it.
This is the first step to viewing Instagram messages anonymously as it prevents other users from knowing when you are online in the app. Despite the progress, there is still a soft elephant in the room: after all, how to avoid the last seen on the social network?
How to get last seen from Instagram
A universal solution to this problem is to keep your phone in airplane mode. As you probably already know, this is a technique — almost millenary — that has been used for decades to avoid inconveniences. Fortunately, it also applies in this case.
Activate airplane mode and only then enter Instagram chat. Without internet access, the platform will not record your view, nor will it display it to the other user. But be careful: it is possible that, when resuming the connection, the social network shows the last seen. The information, however, will arrive late and not so precisely.
Another trick, widely used in messengers, is to view messages through the notification shade. The logic is simple: when you receive a message on the social network, enlarge the banner to see it completely. As there was no access to Direct, the platform will not display the last seen.
Finally, you can still resort to the Unseen app (Android), which managed to optimize the idea behind the last tip to view Instagram messages anonymously. To the dismay of iPhone fans, the option is only available for Android devices.
How to view Instagram chat anonymously with the Unseen app
Unseen is a notification collection app and therefore the most invasive method to solve this problem. Despite this, it gathers all messages in one place and prevents the user from digging through notifications in order to read the content of conversations.
- Once the program installation is complete, launch the app and tap “Next” at the bottom of the screen. Then, check the applications you want to use and then click on the “Give authorization” command;
- You will be taken to the mobile settings. Search for Unseen in the apps list and tap on it. Also enable pop-up notifications. When a message arrives on your account, just tap the Instagram icon to view it anonymously.
In addition to notifications sent by the social network, you will also receive notices from Unseen. To see conversations more easily, just tap on the pop-up banners.