The use of two chips in the same iPhone is a feature that was widely requested by users and met by Apple in the iOS 12.1 update, however, in parts. The novelty was restricted only to the most recent generations of the smartphone, which can receive a second chip and use it simultaneously with the main one on the device, in eSIM digital format.
- What is eSIM and how does it work?
- How to have two WhatsApps on iPhone
The eSIM digital chip format is responsible for making the new generations of iPhone Dual SIM, allowing the activation of yet another cell phone plan by operators that offer this type of service.
The advantages are enormous, since it is possible to have two numbers to make calls, being able to define them for personal and professional use, use WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business, add a number when you are in another country, have another data plan for internet package, among others.
In addition, the second number can also be configured for FaceTime and iMessage apps, associated with the user’s Apple ID account. Here’s everything you need to know about eSIM:
What is eSIM and how does it work?
First of all, let’s clarify what an eSIM is. Also known as Virtual SIM, it is a chip manufactured directly inside the hardware, that is, inside the device itself. Therefore, there is nothing physical about it, and it is not necessary to insert or remove it from the device. eSIM needs to be supported and activated through a cellular carrier. To learn more about eSIM technology, read this article:
- What is eSIM and how does it work?
eSIM compatible iPhones
Listed below are all iPhone models that support the eSIM technology feature:
- iPhone XR, XS and XS Max;
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max;
- iPhone SE (2nd generation, 2020, also known as iPhone 9);
- iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max;
- iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max.
Operators that offer the service in Brazil
Below, you will find the operators that offer this type of service in Brazil, in addition to direct links to their information pages about each operator’s service:
- eYES Of course
- eSIM TIM
- eSIM Vivo
As you will notice, there are promotions for purchasing an eSIM. However, the amount charged for a virtual chip is usually exactly the same as a physical chip, after all, you are charged for the acquisition of the new phone number, that is, the new account that will be opened with the operator in question.
How to insert eSIM on iPhone
Compatible iPhones have four ways to insert an eSIM into the device. Check out each of them below:
1. Scan a QR code
If the operator works with the method of installing the eSIM chip using the QR code, just point the camera at the indicated location and wait for the detection of the cellular plan. Then tap “Continue” and “Add Cellular Plan”. If a confirmation code is requested, consult the responsible company.
2. Use a carrier app
It is possible for the operator to activate the eSIM plan on the iPhone through its own app available on the iOS App Store. In this case, just download it and follow the instructions to subscribe to an active plan and insert the digital chip into the device.
3. Install an assigned plan
If the operator assigns a digital plan to your smartphone, it will ask you to start the installation. If this is your case, wait for the notification to appear with the information: “Cellular Plan Ready to Install”, or find it by opening iPhone Settings. Tap on it and click “Continue” to proceed with the installation.
4. Enter the information manually
If none of the above methods are used, you may need to enter the information manually. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open your iPhone Settings and click on “Cellular”;
- On the next screen, tap “Add Cellular Plan”;
- Then click on “Enter Details Manually” at the bottom of the screen;
- Enter the Activation Code provided by your carrier.
How to set up and activate eSIM on iPhone
After using one of the above methods to install the eSIM chip data on the iPhone, it’s time to configure it for use on your iOS which will appear after the digital chip recognition. Follow the steps below to proceed with the process:
- On your iPhone’s setup screen, tap “Continue”;
- Tap the tags to assign new identification names to the two mobile numbers;
- Choose a custom tag or assign one suggested by iOS. Then tap “OK”. At the end of the process, click on “Continue”;
- Choose, by the label, the default line that should be used to send messages or call people who are not in the contacts. If so, you can later assign the line you prefer in the Contacts app. Then tap “Continue”;
- Choose the numbers you want to use with the FaceTime and iMessage apps assigned to your Apple ID account. Then tap “Continue” and confirm the action by clicking “OK”;
- By correctly configuring your eSIM, you will have two cellular plans at the same time on your iPhone. You will be able to check the signal status of each number in the iOS Control Center and use it for calls and messages, naturally according to the possibilities of the data plan contracted with your mobile operator.