If your Instagram Direct inbox is full of messages and you want to clean it up, the ideal is to delete conversations from the tool. You can delete entire chats, not just specific messages, at any time in your Direct.
- How to delete a message from Instagram
- How to view Instagram messages anonymously
Learn in the following tutorial how to delete conversation from Instagram Direct. The procedure applies to the Instagram application on Android and iPhone (iOS), in addition to the web version of the social network.
How to delete Directs on Instagram
When you delete a conversation from Instagram, it is no longer visible only to you. This means that the other person you chatted with will still have access to your entire message history. This rule applies to both individual and group conversations.
Also, if you have synced your Instagram and Facebook Messenger accounts, deleting an Instagram conversation is valid for Instagram only.
Remembering that the process is irreversible and, even if you talk to that contact again, previous messages cannot be recovered. For now, it is not possible to delete all conversations at once.
On Android and iPhone (iOS)
- Open the Instagram app;
- Tap the icon with the Messenger symbol in the upper right corner;
- Find the conversation you want to delete;
- If it’s on iPhone, swipe the conversation to the left and tap “Delete”;
- If you’re on Android, tap and hold on the conversation and select “Delete”;
- Confirm the chat deletion by tapping “Delete” again.
On PC (Instagram Web)
- Access “instagram.com” in the browser;
- Click on the icon with the Messenger symbol, at the top right of the screen;
- Enter the conversation you want to delete;
- Click on the icon with the letter “i” inside a circle;
- Select the “Delete chat” option;
- Click “Delete” again.