To use voice typing in your conversations, you need to know how to activate the WhatsApp microphone. It is common for cell phone keyboards, on Android and iOS, to offer a feature that allows typing with voice commands.
The voice typing function is therefore present on keyboards and can be used in any text field. That is, in addition to WhatsApp, it is also possible to activate the feature in notebooks, messengers, and other options. Check out below how to activate the WhatsApp microphone and voice typing on Android and iOS!
How to Enable WhatsApp Microphone for Voice Typing on Android
- In a WhatsApp conversation, open the keyboard. Then tap on the Gboard microphone icon. Be careful not to confuse it with the icon to record audio in WhatsApp;
- If you are using the feature for the first time, you may need to allow microphone access through the Gboard app. Then start talking and follow along typing in the text field. Send the message when finished.
If you use Samsung’s standard keyboard, just tap the microphone icon and follow the same steps.
How to Enable WhatsApp Microphone for Voice Typing on iOS
- Before using voice typing on WhatsApp, you need to enable the dictation function on iOS. Open the “Settings” app and select “General”;
- Then tap on “Keyboard”;
- On the next screen, check the “Enable Dictation” option;
- Return to WhatsApp and open the keyboard. Tap the microphone icon to use the function;
- Then start talking and follow along typing in the text field. Send the message when finished.